Monday, January 19, 2009

On the Eve of the Inauguration

It is a profound and profoundly moving moment in history. There is simply no other term for it but a moment in history. No one in this world will ever forget where they were and what they were doing on the 20th of January, 2009.

The nature of President-elect Obama's conduct over the past two months and some days has been extremely moving and personal for innumerable people around this country and indeed, the world. I am no different.

What I find most interesting about this incoming President, and I admit I am more interested in him right now than his administration, is that he has changed the tenor of people's attitudes. Despite the fact that we may be in even more dire circumstances than the Great Depression (after all, this Recession is Global), Mr. Obama has inspired people to change the way they view themselves, their empowerment, and their responsibility to those beyond their own narrow lives.

It is one of the most striking contrasts to the kind of culture and mindset that George W. Bush heralded. With him and his "War on Terror" rather than "Terrorism," Bush instituted a culture of "Me First, in fact, Only Me" wherein the rules of conduct applied to everyone else but oneself. Of course, what that meant was that the rules applied to no one, since everyone occupies the role of "someone else" in relation to other people.

Thus people became rude. They were unrepentantly mean. And racist, "hate" crimes increased dramatically. They could call each other names and then, like Sarah Palin, accuse other people of the very conduct they themselves engaged in by hiding behind the excuse, "Well, you're just being mean." Projection and irresponsibility was the order of the day for eight long years.

If I am any measure, everything has changed. I have gone from being extremely cynical about my agency to feeling that empowerment is less important than the fact that I want to serve my country. I am looking for myriad ways of doing so, despite that I am unemployed and have been for several months. Nevertheless, I am glad I am American. I am actually contemplating wearing an American flag shirt for the celebration in Downtown L.A. though in honesty, I don't have anything like that so I won't. But if I did possess such an item, I certainly would.

I am attending tomorrow morning to watch the Swearing in Ceremony live on enormous screens with thousands of other people. I am taking my daughter to this event, unlike some people I know who are attending the actual inauguration and have left their seven-year old at home. I am going to take photos. Because unlike those other people, I know that though I am not old, this election has not been about me, and this inauguration is likewise, not for just me. It is for and about the younger generation. So while my daughter is not yet two, I intend to take her to this celebration. She will experience what it is like for people to join together in strength, unified in purpose and joined by a vision that can accommodate personal goals in a way that benefits the many. Because even if she does not remember the event when she grows older, I will share that experience with her. With photos and video. And she will know that her life, which began the day before Mr. Obama declared his candidacy, was improved in innumerable, countless ways by this singular event.

I am glad, and proud, to be American. And I will be proud when I go abroad. And people will no longer scorn me when they discover I am American, though I am of color. They will congratulate me. As a representative of something for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment


park

wing #1